Friday, March 16, 2012

Matching Skirts & Ties

Several months ago one of my friends gifted me 5 yards of fabric that she knew I wanted. I'd bought 2, then just happened to to run into her at the fabric store a few days later where she was buying the rest of it.





I did my project with it and realized that I wanted more... but there was no more. I started hunting some down on Ebay. She found out I was hunting and gave me the yardage she'd bought as a baby shower gift. I, in turn, told her that my first project would be 5 matching skirts for the 5 girls we have between the two of us. I went one better and made ties to match for my 3 year old and her baby due this summer... here's how they turned out.











I used the Emery Skirt pattern (acutally, I'd call it a tutorial... its not a pattern that you cut and use, its instructions for how to draw the pattern, then contruct it) that I purchased from SadieJames on Esty. I love the look of the skirt, but I didn't think that the construction was very well thought out. The pattern instructions leave an exposed seam at the waistband top... no facing or applied casing to give it a finished look, so after the first skirt I tossed the instructions and went with my good-construction gut. They're not perfect, particularly where I had to stitch in the ditch, but they turned out okay.




For the ties, I used this pattern and tutorial over at Very Homemade. Quick and easy. I'll be making a lot more ties like this for my son. He doesn't like clip-ons at all, so the velco-on tie is the way to go for us.




3 comments:

Sew It Sherry said...

They turned out so lovely! I'll check out that pattern but will take note of your suggestion about the exposed seams. I found you on project run & play linky party. Check out my blog if you like:
http://whatsherrymadetoday.blogspot.com.au/

Simple Simon and Company said...

WOW you were busy! Thanks for the tie link...I am wanting to make some for Easter.

You need to get a picture of all of them together!

M. Fisk said...

Just discovered you have two blogs...how did I not know?? We love these skirts: they are beautiful! Thank you thank you thank you! (Plus now we have a floral tie and no excuse not to have more... :) I have no idea how you do it all!