Monday, January 7, 2013

The Mountains are Calling

To call my Dad a mountain enthusiast would be a pretty massive understatement. The man lives and breathes mountains. I think they are his first love, though I'm confident that his love for my mother trumps love of mountains. Barely. ;)

For Christmas this year, I tapped into my dad's love of mountains for his gift. I found my inspiration via Pinterest. And when I decided it buy myself a Silhouette late this fall, I knew that making my own version could be a pretty perfect gift.

It was a pretty quick craft: bribe the husband to cut a bit of leftover 1/4" plywood down to size. Paint it blue with leftover sample paint. Distress with sandpaper and dry-brushed white paint. Paint some more, distress some more until happy. They cut  the typography from white vinyl. It was my first project with my Silhouette and I did learn some things.

1) Never leave anything crafty or interesting with a 5 year old. She's bound to destroy it somehow.
2) Turn on the grid in the Silhouette software and make sure you make you project the right size.
3) Fiddly little serifs in small type are a big of a pain. Go with with bolder, less fiddly fonts.

All in all, I like how it turned out, and my Dad loves it, which is what really counts.

No comments: