Thursday, January 10, 2013

Family Portrait Dress

We have BIG, extended family portraits coming up later this month and our color scheme is grey, yellow and navy. I've been hunting for things for our family to wear. When I saw this blouse hanging in my closet,



I knew it was perfect to upcycle into something for one of the girls.

And since Project Run and Play has started up again, I decided to sew along. This week's challenge was to remix the Party Dress pattern by Cottage Home.

I decided to move the turn the bodice around so that the closure was in front and the pretty pin tucks and lace insets could be featured. I added sleeves, narrowed the sash and skipped the hem band. Instead of lining the bodice, I underlined it with my contrasting fabric and used a self-fabric binding to finish the neck edge.



For the skirt, I only gathered it at the side fronts and back; I wanted to keep the lace insets lining up with those on the bodice. 



I really love how this turned out. I need to tighten the elastic in the sleeve hems, and I MIGHT gather the sleeves a little where the upper and lower sleeve piece meet... can't decide on that one. Otherwise I think it turned out pretty perfect.


Oh... and thank heavens for a camera that has continuous shooting mode! It is H.A.R.D to get pictures of a one-year-old!

I'm linking up to the Sew-Along for Project Run & Play, Season 6 week 1!

5 comments:

Dianna said...

Love it!

Suzanne Winter said...

So fun with the yellow...they need to create a glue that temporarily holds crawlers through toddlers in place!!!

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

haha! I took, seriously, over 50 pictures of my one year old trying to get a decent shot. Cute dress, cute model!

Karen said...

She's adorable! Great up-cycle!

M. Fisk said...

Wow: that turned out awesome! I can't wait to see it in person!!