Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Forever Summer

Recently, we moved from Syracuse, NY to Austin, TX. To say that the weather is a bit different here in Austin is a BIT of an understatement. Nothing against Syracuse (its a beautiful part of the country), but Austin has the best weather.
 

 A bit hot in the summer, yes, but warm 9 months out of the year, and without the high-humidity of more coastal regions. Its pretty much perfect.


What hasn't been perfect is that state of Allison's wardrobe. You see, her wardrobe largely reflects the fact that we lived in NY, where winter can sometimes last 7 months out of the year. It recently came to my attention, through some complaining whining Sunday morning tantrums looking in Allison's closet, that her collection of Sunday dresses were simply not weather appropriate. So we talked, and consulted, and looked at patterns, and discussed modesty, and made compromises... and made an adorable dress.


I absolutely fell IN LOVE with this fabric. Never mind the stash of at least 100+ yards in my sewing room: this one screamed at me from the Jo-Ann's aisle and had to come home. I knew it would be just perfect for a summer dress for my little creative, fashionista artist with her big, bright personality. Its a cotton lawn by Doodles collection. Since it was a bit sheer, I underlined it with some cream lining fabric that's been hanging out in my stash for who knows how long. This fabric was really a perfect, lovely weight for a summer dress. Its so light and airy, even with the underlining.


I modified my pattern (Simplicity 1702) in order to please my daughter and me. She wanted the view with the ruffles, I wanted her to wear sleeves. After thinking through it, I was able to add sleeves to the should-be-sleeveless-bodice by folding the strap piece in half, wrong sides together, and leaving it unseamed. That left me with enough seam allowance to insert the sleeve later on.


All said and done, I like how it turned out. And I love knowing that, here in Austin, a light-weight summery dress will get loads of wear. Because the summers here last forever. And I'm more than okay with that. 

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

This is so pretty!!! I love the fabric and the ruffles. It fits so nicely, too!

Britt G. said...

I love the Doodles fabrics at Jo-ann as well - alwyas something catches my eye. Many a time I have chosen a pattern only to find nothing in my stash works for it :) I always say to myself, if I am going to spend time on sewing it, I want it to be something I like and am happy with. Lovely dress and I like the alterations. (Btw I am visiting through Sewing Saturdays)

Annie said...

That is a cute dress and looks like a great fit for your daughter. I am sure it will get tons of uses in Texas summer!